Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I just get so mad

This morning there was yet another story about autism on the Today Show.  This is not what makes me mad.  I think it is great. Today's show was about the Board of Pediatrics requiring autism screenings at 18 mo and 24 mo.  This is awesome.  

What angers me is that Drew had ALL of the symptoms listed, and I even questioned some of them and it was always brushed off.  Kids all develop at their own pace.  Boys are often slower than girls.  Let's just give it a couple months.  etc.  

If only he would have born 2 years later then this would have been caught sooner.  Of course as my mom reminded me, that if he would have been born 2 years earlier, then this may have been caught much later and he may not have gotten help.  I am thankful that Drew's autism was still caught at 2 1/2 and he is already in therapy and is already making improvements.   

I am not mad that Drew has autism.  I love him just the same, maybe even more.  His autism is mild and he is a really loving boy.  I just get angry that doctors aren't as educated on autism.  I also get mad at those people that say "I'm so sorry to hear that he has autism"  WHY-I wouldn't trade him in for anything.

I really can't complain.  Drew has only been in therapy for 1 month and he has made INCREDIBLE improvements.  When he was evaluated a couple months ago he wasn't putting any words together and now he randomly talks in sentences.  And today he even asked for "more" without being prompted......it's the little things that make me so happy. 

No comments:

 
Copyright 2008 and beyond Daisy Layne Boutique